Twitter shutting down Vine video service


read article here

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:42PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:31PM EDT

Twitter is shutting down its Vine short-form video service amid other cost-cutting measures at the social media company which is bleeding money and struggling to find a buyer.

Vine will be discontinuing its mobile app “in the coming months,” with no specific date set at this point, according to a blog post on Medium, which is owned by Twitter co-founder Evan Williams.

“Nothing is happening to the apps, website or your Vines today,” says the post, which is signed by Team Vine and Twitter. It adds that the Vine website will remain online and users will still be able to access and download videos.

Vine users will be notified through the app before any changes are made, the post says.

The announcement comes as Twitter moves to slash 9 per cent of its workforce worldwide. Shares in the company fell 27 per cent over the last month, though they bounced back by 4 per cent after the job cuts were announced this week.

Vine, which allows users to record and loop up to six seconds of video, launched back in 2013. The service was popular for a variety of uses, including sports highlights, humour, viral moments and musical performances. Canadian pop star Shawn Mendes, for instance, launched his career with a Vine video that went viral.

Canadian Ryan Gosling also became an unintentional Vine “star” for the “Ryan won’t eat his cereal” series of videos. In the videos, a person watching Ryan Gosling movies on TV pretends to offer the actor cereal when he appears on screen.

Twitter announced Vine’s demise on Thursday at noon, triggering a wave of disappointment online. More than 1.65 million tweets about Vine were sent out from noon until 1pm ET, as users mourned the eventual end of the service. Many eulogized its demise with “sad face” emojis accompanying their favourite Vine clips.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: